Tuesday 17 January 2017

Mock Up Making

Today was pretty great, to be honest. The mock up is ready for fitting tomorrow morning (minus boning, which I am getting just before it).

I was too sleepy to take a good picture. Praise me anyway.
The pattern translated pretty well to sewing, the curvy seams into the straight seams were a bit of a fiddle but nothing I couldn't handle.

However, there is a weirdness in the bottom. I think when I plotted the hip line I must have fudged it a bit, because the bust, under bust and waist lines matched pretty much perfectly but the hip lines didn't. Also, I plotted the bottom design line wonky as heck so it needed a little smoothing out once it was all put together.

I used heavy weight calico, and dang did it stink when I was ironing it. Super gross. I've just about recovered from it now.

The eyelets I had lying about for the back were too small for the machine, so they are a bit cracked but #yolo it's only a mock up. I'm thinking a lovely black coated busk and eyelets for the final one! I'll make sure I don't get the wrong size this time.

I smushed it onto me without the boning because I couldn't contain my excitement, and dang is this pattern lovely. The shape is to die for. I am ridiculously proud of it so far. Sadly, it is almost definitely too big, I think I'll need to take it in 2" overall - only tomorrow will tell. It seemed like it was too roomy everywhere, so fingers crossed it will be a super simple alteration and I can finalise the pattern tomorrow, which would mean that I would actually be.......... ahead of schedule?? (I know, crazy)

On a less positive note, I only wrote about 700 words for my dissertation yesterday, meaning I have to write 1,250 tonight to make sure it's ready for Friday. I've come up with another point to add to it, which gives me the excuse to write about Obama quilts. Yes, I said Obama quilts. It seems that within the online craft community, there is a niche for quilting Obama's face - so much so that there is a whole book about it.

I kinda want one now...

No comments:

Post a Comment